Presenting Hadley Sewing School (HSS), a community based sewing school located in the burgeoning neighborhood of Beacon Hill in Kansas City, MO.
HSS is dedicated to teaching its students to understand and value the role of garment design, production, and consumption in their lives, as well as hand and machine based sewing techniques. Courses offered will include all levels of garment design and construction, with special emphasis placed on the social aspects of fashion as well as on the empowering nature of sewing for one’s self.
HSS Fall/Winter course offerings:
1. SEWING SURVEY, a basic level sewing and garment construction intro course. In SEWING SURVEY, beginning students will gain entry-level sewing skills.
2. SEWING SOPHOMORE SHIRT is an intermediate level technique development course which will teach students to build upon the basics outlined in Sewing Survey. In SEWING SOPHOMORE, students will develop skills relating to garment construction specifically a tailored SHIRT, fine garment finishing methods, inserting an invisible zipper, basic pattern alteration and fittings. We will begin with constructing a muslin of the shirt pattern then have a fitting and alter the pattern to fit the student. After the pattern alteration we will use a textile of the student's choosing to create a fitted version of the pattern.
3. SEWING SOPHOMORE~SKIRT is an intermediate level technique development course which will teach students to build upon the basics outlined in Sewing Survey. In SEWING SOPHOMORE-SKIRT, students will develop skills relating to garment construction specifically a tailored Pencil SKIRT, fine garment finishing methods, inserting an invisible zipper, basic pattern alteration and fittings. We will begin with constructing a muslin of the shirt pattern then have a fitting and alter the pattern to fit the student. After the pattern alteration we will use a textile of the student's choosing to create a fitted version of the pattern.
4. TWO Person Sewing Session is a personalize instructional session with Hadley in her studio with you and a friend, family member, etc. The class will be tailored to the skill level of the two students, from beginner to advanced, with sewing machines provided and a two hour minimum.
5. PRIVATE SEWING SESSION is personal one-on-one sewing instruction with Hadley in her personal studio in Beacon Hill. The class will be tailored to the skill level of the student, from beginner to advanced, with a sewing machine provided and a two hour minimum.
6. ALTERATION NATION Workshop An intimate Saturday Workshop that will focus on TOPS : shirts, blouses, button-ups, top of a dress, etc. (DATE TBA) at the shop/studio. Hadley will be demonstrating HOW your piece should fit, as well as sharing the skills to alter your garment. You will be able to take those techniques home to "fix" the others just like it in your closet. We will also go over basic skills like hand sewing a button, hand sewing stitches for hems, seam ripping and the like.
7. TEXTILE TUNE-UP (FREE & ongoing) This year Hadley will open her studio to all individuals in need of mending/repairing any of their garments in need of a fix. Hadley will be on hand to assist anyone who has questions about their pieces; although she will also be mending her own garments. This is not an instructional evening but a time to gather and mend our wears. FREE + OPEN TO ALL
Students should plan to bring their sewing machine with them to each class, as well as a short list of basic supplies which will be sent to each student upon registration.
*Instructor will hold office hours once per week for students who are unable to attend that weeks’ session. Selected day will be announced the first day of class.
A nonrefundable $50 deposit is required at registration to hold your slot + full payment will be due by the first day of class. We accept CC, paypal, check and cash.
Enrollment is capped at 4 students per session.
SEWING SURVEY SCHOLARSHIP
SSIA offers one scholarship per SEWING SURVEY course section, for students who exhibit special promise in their own practice or who maybe be unable to attend class due to financial hardship. Scholarships are awarded when the class is at the capped status.
In exchange for partial tuition, the SSIA Scholarship winner will help the instructor maintain classroom setup and cleanliness before and after their class. In order to apply for the SSIA Assistantship, students should:
1. Register for the section day/time they are interested in and make the non-refundable $50 deposit.
2. Submit a letter detailing their interest in this course and how the skills obtained would benefit their life and community. (300 word max) Letter should be emailed to email@example.com
DEADLINE : The SUNDAY before the first day of class by MIDNIGHT. *If class takes place on Sunday the deadline will be the Sunday before.
Hadley Clark has been working in garment construction for 10+ years. Clark graduated with honors from Parsons Paris | The New School with a BFA in Fashion Design in 2010. During her four years living in Paris she studied French couture draping, garment construction and concept development with Sibylle Klose, a designer who has worked for Chloe, Givenchy and Kenzo; Katarina Rimarcikova, a freelance designer with a work history at Gucci, Alexander McQueen and Sharon Wauchob. Since returning to her hometown in 2012 , Kansas City, Clark opened her showroom in the Crossroads Arts District. Clark designed, constructed and sold all garments at this location. She learned in her time with a public space that education around garments and construction is the first step in changing our relationship to what we wear and what we own.
*In September 2017, Clark moved her studio to a new location in Kansas CIty to 2711 Troost Ave. where she now teaches all classes.